IMPORTANT: All qualifying documents must be received by the qualifying officer by the end of the qualifying period. A postmark within the qualifying period does not suffice.
Being a Sarasota County Commissioner is a good job! $88,000 Annual Salary
If you are thinking of running for office, visit Ron Turner's office to get a packet of information. Staff will guide you through the process and all requirements.
SUPERVISOR OF ELECTIONS OFFICE
101 S Washington Blvd
Email the Supervisor of Elections
Commissioner Oath: I do solemnly swear that I will support, protect and defend the Constitution and Government of the United States and of the State of Florida and that I am duly qualified to hold office under the Constitution of the State, and that I will well and faithfully perform the duties of county commissioner, of which I am now about to enter.
A candidate may waive the required filing fees if he or she submits an in-lieu-of-filing-fee petition with signatures equal to at least 1 percent of the total number of registered voters in the geographical area represented by the office being sought. Signatures for this petition may not be collected until the candidate has filed the appointment of campaign treasurer and designation of campaign depository form, and the completed petition must be filed by the 28th day preceding the first day of the qualifying period for the office being sought. This petition must be filed with the supervisor of elections in each county in which the petition was circulated in order to verify the signatures. The supervisor of elections in the county must then certify the number of valid signatures to the Florida Division of Elections no later than seven days prior to the first day of the corresponding qualifying period.
1. DS-DE9 APPOINTMENT OF CAMPAIGN TREASURER AND DESIGNATION OF CAMPAIGN DEPOSITORY: First form filed to become a candidate, designating the office for which he/she is running, appointing a treasurer and designating a depository. Must be filed before any contributions are received, any expenditures are made, or any signatures are obtained on a candidate petition. Form
2. DS-DE 84 STATEMENT OF CANDIDATE: Form stating that you have been provided access to read and understand the requirements of Chapter 106. (Must be filed within 10 days of filing Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Depository.) NOTE: Judicial Candidates MUST also file a Statement of Candidate for Judicial Office: DS-DE 83 Form
3. STATE AND LOCAL PARTISAN OFFICE CANDIDATE OATH – WITH PARTY AFFILIATION.
Print your name as you wish it to appear on the ballot – name may not be changed after the end of qualifying. Form
4. DISCLOSURE OF FINANCIAL INTERESTS: Full and Public Disclosure of Financial Interest (Form 6) or Statement of Financial Interest (Form 1), depending on the office sought by candidate. Forms
5. QUALIFYING FEE: Must be a properly executed check drawn on the campaign account and signed by the treasurer or deputy treasurer OR if qualifying by the petition process, candidate will file along with other qualifying documents, the petition certification provided to the candidate by the supervisor of elections.